When cold weather strikes, making sure your car is protected becomes a serious priority that can help extend its life. If you don’t have a garage or a covered carport, your car is susceptible to all kinds of damage ranging from serious engine problems to more cosmetic-related issues. If you’ve been thinking of ways to protect your car during the winter, a cover can be a helpful and easy choice. Read on to learn more about how to determine if covering your car is a good idea.
The Pros of Car Covers
Before you determine if a car cover will work for you, here’s a list of positive things it can to do protect your vehicle:
- Car covers will help to prevent paint damage to your vehicle as a result of ice, snow, and road salt.
- Keeping a car cover on will help to keep it warm, potentially protecting your engine from damage when you start the vehicle.
- A car cover will keep your windshield wipers from freezing and cracking.
- Covers have been shown to be a helpful theft deterrent.
- Using a car cover can extend the overall life of your vehicle since it helps to preserve your paint and wax.
- It can be easier to remove snow from your vehicle with just a simple removal of the cover all at once.
Cons of Using Car Covers
If you’re still not sure about using a car cover during the winter, it’s important to weigh the cons:
- Depending on where you live and your unique weather conditions, the cover may freeze or get stuck to the car in wet, icy weather.
- Extremely cold temperatures can cause your car cover to become rigid or even crack. This also makes folding the cover extremely difficult.
- Strong winds may carry your cover away. It’s recommended that you use some sort of tie-down to keep it in place.
- Rips and tears in your car cover can let snow, rain, and ice seep in.
- You may need to purchase a new car cover every season depending on wear and tear.
Now that you’ve weighed the pros and cons of using car covers, consider carefully whether or not they will work for your needs. And when it comes to vehicle maintenance, repairs, and service, contact Meadows Automotive located in Waterford Township, Michigan. Our helpful staff is happy to talk with you further and schedule an appointment!